Death toll rises to 4 in Snohomish County plane crash

Death toll rises to 4 in Snohomish County plane crash

Investigators have confirmed that four people died Friday in a plane crash in Snohomish County that briefly closed Highway 2.

Two deaths were initially reported by emergency responders who reached the wreckage of the Cessna 208B, which went down around 10:20 a.m. in a field east of Harvey Field Airport in Snohomish County.

But Saturday morning, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office confirmed four people had been on the plane, which had taken off from Renton an hour before, and said that all four had perished.

“Additional examination of the wreckage with the assistance of the [Snohomish County] Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed 4 fatalities,” said spokesperson Courtney O’Keefe in an email.

Officials had reported two deaths Friday, but also had indicated there were “possibly additional” deaths,” O’Keefe said. The exact number “was unknown at the time,” O’Keefe said, adding that investigators were also able to confirmed there were four passengers aboard the aircraft. 

Investigators have yet to release details about the aircraft or its owner. But according to Flight Aware, an aviation tracking website, a Cessna 208B with identifier number N2069B took off from Renton Airport at around 9:25 a.m. and then appears to have crashed near Highway 2 at around 10:20 a.m.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, the aircraft was N2069B owned by Copper Mountain Aviation of Alaska.

A route map of the flight shows the plane flew north and completed several circles near Everett before descending 5,100 feet near Highway 2.

The county medical examiner is working to identify the victims, and the crash is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration. Sheriff’s Office personnel are “assisting at the scene today with evidence recovery,” O’Keefe said. 

Drone footage posted by Fox News 13 showed the badly burned wreckage in a field next to an irrigation ditch. The wreckage of what appears to be a wing lies roughly 100 yards away.

The first people to reach the crash tried to put out the fire with handheld fire extinguishers, but were thwarted by the “large volume of fire,” fire district officials said. 

When first responders arrived, they struggled to reach the wreckage due to the “terrain, vegetation and irrigation canals,” officials said.

Officials briefly closed Highway 2 from 88th Street Southeast to Westwick Road after the crash, which occurred near the roadway.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.